Have you ever wondered why black women carry babies on their back?
Interestingly I grew up just seeing women and young girls about the ages of seven to ten years old backing babies around the vicinity. I can’t really tell of the origin or how the backing of kids came to be, but I do know why it started.
Women all over are known as caretakes of the home but with the arrival of a baby, is pretty difficult to do chores with baby at hand. Also for safety reasons, it is important for babies to be close to where they can be seen if there is no adult supervision. So mothers will have to carry their babies. So how do they combine the two?
The idea of backing babies came to life. Yahweh blesses the inventor of the idea. Cause seriously, it does make moving around easy. You can be doing your chores and still enjoy the warmth of your baby. Nice right?🤗🤗🤗🤗🤭
When backing a baby, one use a rectangular cloth big enough to wrap the baby very well and a smaller one to hold is waist.
However, carrying babies at the back applies more to black African women. It has not changed at all. The baby carrier, on the other hand, has evolved over time.
From time immemorial, women around the globe have fashioned ways of carrying their babies for easy movement. The baby carrier thus happens to be at the forefront of fashion.
I won’t bore you with the origin of the baby carrier in different regions of the world. But I will sure do tell you of its benefits and also some notions about it.
7 Benefits of Backing your Baby
- When you back your baby, it makes them feel warm and secure and that means less crying.
- When you back your baby, you as the mum is at rest at heart knowing your baby is within your reach.
- When you back your baby, it makes them fall asleep, quickly.
- When you back your baby, it gives you the advantage of working with your hands freely.
- When you back your baby, there is less accident within the house.
- When you back your baby there is less dependence on someone.
- Babies who are backed tend to be happier and friendly.
- When you back your baby it protects them from rain or sun.
- It also prevents babies from catching cold.
- Baby wrappers are less expensive to get and it can be easily washed.
The disadvantage of backing babies
- When your baby is used to being backed he will always wants to be backed even if there are people around to play with.
- Without being backed, he will hardly fall asleep, because he is used to it.
- Him or she will be so attached to the mum that it makes it too difficult to drop at daycares or with a nanny.
- If one goes to the market, with the baby in the back, he tends to pick things without you noticing it on time.
- When you back older babies, sometimes it gives waist pain.
- You can’t really protect the baby from behind if there is danger around.
Having seen the benefits and none benefits of backing babies, let’s look at the baby carrier.
Benefits of Baby Carriers
- Baby carriers are stylish
- Baby carriers are better if one is suffering from any pains at the back.
- Baby carries prevents your child from picking things around when you go to the market.
- You can easily see what’s happening to your child.
- You can protect your child from any danger upfront before it reaches him or her.
The Disadvantage of Baby Carriers
- It is not easily affordable.
- With baby carriers, your hands are not too free.
- When it rains, you can’t be able to protect the baby.
- The baby can easily catch a cold because of the legs outside.
- If one accidentally falls forward, the baby gets injured first.
Both ways are actually wonderful and accommodating. The two can go hand in hand, however, for personal reasons, some people prefer one to another.
A lady once said she hopped for a baby carrier because her chest stared paining her from backing, after her first baby.
I melt another lady also at the hospital who was disabled from the hips down to her leg. She limps when she walks, but she was so at ease with her baby with the carrier.
Another lady said, imagine carrying her baby for nine months in front of her, why then does she have to still carry her in front again? It looks as if am pregnant for the second time. I laughed my heart out.😸😸😸😸😹😹😹😹😹😹
Also, a lady said it doesn’t take time before the baby outgrows it. Then one has to look for a bigger size which is cost-ineffective.
From my perspective, I think baby carriers look more ravishing with men than men backing babies. Which do you think looks more takeaway.
African men don’t usually back babies, if they do, they must really love their wives. Also they only back their babies when they are indoors. It’s so great to see these fathers back their babies outside. Let’s clap for them please.👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
A thought came into my head one day, what if women can actually transfer pregnancy to their spouse even if it’s for one day, won’t it be nice.👌👌👌👌👌(just thinking). Tell me your thoughts.